In the late summer of 2010, my beautiful wife and I made the crazy decision to move out of the city and into the Central Texas countryside. It was here that Big Z Creations was formed. This blog chronicles our experiences in gardening, home renovation and repair, woodworking, raising chickens and much more.


Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Not so Secret Project Started





So much for secret.
So Krystal was onto to what I was building. I began phase one of the Hobby Desk project last night. I ripped 1x12 boards to their lengths and managed for everything to come out square per the rough fitment. I think it came out great considering the conditions by which I was assembling it under. I don't have a very steady work bench constructed yet, so I assembled everything it on the floor .

Hardware.
I am assembling everything using #8 - 2" wood screws. Since this is soft pine stock, I'm pre-drilling pilot holes and then going back over them with a #8 Countersink bit. I am doing this to prevent any wood splits and to navigate any wood knots I may encounter. After the rough fitment, I'll be drilling the insert holes for the 24 shelving support tabs that will hold the shelves together.

Next.
So I'm thinking that's going to be the lead into my next logical project. A workbench should have been my first project - DUH - LOL - big fat duh on that one. Oh well...
You learn from your mistakes and you move on.

Here's a pic of the rough fitment:I think it really came out well, I measure the diagonals and they were pretty even. I believe it will square up perfectly after I install the 9 - 1x2 shelf supports . I will disassemble the rough fitment to drill the holes for the shelf support tabs and test the fitment of the 11" shelf pieces. The shelves are going to be a tight fit so I'll have to trim some down just a hair for them to fit snug. After the shelves I'll be going round with the wood filler and patching dents and all screw holes.

Conclusion.
This section is remarkably coming together really well. I will build this cubby hole section's twin next and then will proceed to the desktop and the two drawers that will accompany it. I haven't decided what material I'll use for the desktop portion - whether it be MDF or some wood stock that I tapered together with the Kreg Jig. I'll also have to figure out what stain I'd like to go with.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!! Way to go, man. Esp considering you didn't even have your work bench made yet. So exciting! You're getting stuff done!!

    ReplyDelete

Many Thanks to those who read, follow my blog and leave feedback. I am happy to receive the support that I get, it encourages me to continue my exploration of Woodworking and Craftsmanship.