In the late summer of 2010, my beautiful wife and I made the crazy decision to move out of the city and into the Central Texas countryside. It was here that Big Z Creations was formed. This blog chronicles our experiences in gardening, home renovation and repair, woodworking, raising chickens and much more.


Thursday, July 29, 2010








I spent a few hours last night attaching the pegboard backing with screws. I took my time in order to ensure that everything properly fit together and remained square. I was mainly focusing on the detail work, I also did some hand sanding to smooth out some rough spots and a few saw marks that I found. I realized quickly last night that I was going to need an electric hand sander and soon. I postponed the sanding until later.

Next, I proceeded to cut the pieces for the face frame stiles and rails, the shelves, and stopped after the door stops. It was already late and I had come to a great stopping point. After finishing the face frame stiles and rails, further sanding a few of the rough spots, adding a slight chamfer around the edges, construction of the base should be complete with the exception of a few laters of tongue oil.

Tonight, I'll glue on the face frame stiles and rails, sand some more, cross cut and rip the pieces to begin assembly of the door frames and bin shelf. Once I'm done with that, I'll mostly concentrate on the construction of the bin shelf tonight as I'm out of the pegboard I need to place into the door frames.

Bin Shelf.
The bin shelf will be a very interesting assembly using a few rabbets and repetitive dadoes. The bin dividers will be the most easiest as they will simply be repetitive cross cuts. I'll also have repetitive cuts to make for the bins stops I'll be inserting into a kerf I'll make into the bottom piece of the bin shelf. I have pre-ordered 16 yellow bins to size from Grainger that should be mailed to me any day now. Once all the cuts have been made, I'll dry fit everything just to make sure everything fits snugly together - after which I'll begin gluing everything together carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many Thanks to those who read, follow my blog and leave feedback. I am happy to receive the support that I get, it encourages me to continue my exploration of Woodworking and Craftsmanship.