In the late summer of 2010, my beautiful wife and I made the crazy decision to move out of the city and into the Central Texas countryside. It was here that Big Z Creations was formed. This blog chronicles our experiences in gardening, home renovation and repair, woodworking, raising chickens and much more.


Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sliding Door Shop Cabinet.

Well, I started on my latest project last night and worked for a couple of hours – I’ll post some photos of this project up soon as I’ll be taking photos tonight. This cabinet is going to be awesome when I’m done with it! I am very excited but very cautious at the same time. I’ve been taking my time and being really careful with the measurements and the dimension. I am very focused on keeping them to spec. So far, I have all the pieces carefully cross-cut to the length as laid out by the instructions. Tonight I’ll rip them to width, and if I have the time to get to it, I’ll lay out the rabbets and dadoes and kerfing as instructed. I’m nervous about the rabbets, dadoes and kerfs as I’ll have to spend more time ensuring that these essential cuts are positioned correctly as well as cut to their correct depth and width. So I am extra nervous about that. These essential cuts are very important to the construction of the cabinet as a whole; they must be square, plumb and flush. I’ll just have to trust that I am setting up my table saw to perform them as accurately as possible. This is the focus of a skilled fine furniture craftsman. This is all really exciting though.

Today, I will be purchasing a Precision Drill Guide to drill the holes for the shelf pins in both the side pieces and into both sides of the two middle dividers. This is another task that I really want to focus on and with precision.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many Thanks to those who read, follow my blog and leave feedback. I am happy to receive the support that I get, it encourages me to continue my exploration of Woodworking and Craftsmanship.