In the late summer of 2010, my beautiful wife and I made the crazy decision to move out of the city and into the Central Texas countryside. It was here that Big Z Creations was formed. This blog chronicles our experiences in gardening, home renovation and repair, woodworking, raising chickens and much more.


Monday, June 7, 2010

Big Z Mini-Shop 95% Finished!!!



Mini-shop.
I'm wrapping up a very productive weekend. Boy am I tired... Seriously, I am beat up with all the screwing, lifting, positioning, hammering, sawing... But it was all worth it. After much hard work, sweat, tears, thankfully very minimal blood loss and injury, the mini shop is preliminarily finished. It's still in the rough but soon it'll be 100% finished. I am very pleased with the craftsmanship and how it turned out overall. It is quite a marvel to be inside something that you designed and built yourself and with the generous help of my family. I really want to thank my mom, my dad and my wife Krystal for all their hard work on the construction of this project. I couldn't have completed or have even started without their help. Thank you all again. I am very happy to have a level, dry, self contained place for which to store things and to set up the Big Z Creations wood shop however small of a space I am given. The 10 by 12 space is actually spacious enough to set up my wood working area and still be able to store a few things. Finishing remains of this project is the very simple task of caulking/sealing, applying a primer base coat, applying paint and trim is all that remains. A few custom additions will be made down the line will include installing a few windows on the western wall and possibly on the eastern wall to allow for cross ventilation. I'm also debating whether or not to install vents near the roof lines in order to improve air circulation and to reduce the build up of hot air inside. I think this would be a great idea now that I am reflecting upon it.

What's next?
Upon completing the mini-shop, the next project I'll begin should be the next most important for my cause. A workbench. The workbench is the quintessential tool for all woodworkers. I was blessed with some extra 2x4's that I'll dedicate to making a simple but sturdy workbench. A few 2x4's and a few 2x6's for the bench top and I'll be in business. This bench will be built with the Kreg Jig. Here's an example of that bench.




1 comment:

Many Thanks to those who read, follow my blog and leave feedback. I am happy to receive the support that I get, it encourages me to continue my exploration of Woodworking and Craftsmanship.