In the late summer of 2010, my beautiful wife and I made the crazy decision to move out of the city and into the Central Texas countryside. It was here that Big Z Creations was formed. This blog chronicles our experiences in gardening, home renovation and repair, woodworking, raising chickens and much more.


Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Working Late.









Sliding Cabinet Update.
I spent a lot of time working late last night on the sliding tool cabinet. I realized a few days ago that I had made a mistake on the two side pieces and had drilled the shelf pin holes too far apart. A rookie mistake on a very intricately designed piece. I don't have a very good explanation as to why I did what I did - I must have just made a blank mistake, I wasn't paying attention and it certainly costs me time. I went back and spent time catching up and had to re-do those two pieces entirely.

After being stoked about catching up, I began to dry fit, glue and screw the pieces for the final assembly of the cabinet base. Much to my excitement and surprise, everything fit squarely together - it was a pretty smooth operation considering how much I had to toil to catch up. The cabinet base frame is now successfully assembled and is pending the pegboard and back cleats. The Back cleats will secure the pegboard onto the base frame and also serve as the method by which the cabinet will be secured to the wall. The back cleats will be very easily installed and will sit flush to the base frame.

Assembly of the sliding cabinet doors, the door hardware and handles, followed by sanding and prepping with tongue oil will be all that remains for this piece to be finished completely.

Conclusion.
I am happy about how everything has come together and how the white coated pegboard looks as a back drop to the cabinet itself. I think it's much better than the usual brown colored pegboard. I am confident now that the doors will come together nicely as well. The base frame put up some resistance due to some places where care and attention had to be dedicated in order to assure a correct fit. I think this lesson has only added to my experience as a whole - I shall only learn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many Thanks to those who read, follow my blog and leave feedback. I am happy to receive the support that I get, it encourages me to continue my exploration of Woodworking and Craftsmanship.