In the late summer of 2010, my beautiful wife and I made the crazy decision to move out of the city and into the Central Texas countryside. It was here that Big Z Creations was formed. This blog chronicles our experiences in gardening, home renovation and repair, woodworking, raising chickens and much more.


Monday, July 12, 2010

Big Z's Got Tha Power!!









Just Electric.
I'm very happy to announce that the Big Z Mini-shop now has electricity. My power tools can now come to life and I can start woodworking in comfort soon. It has been long enough and hard enough time tripping over extension cords and sharing / overloading the same extension cord. So far, I have two 5' 6 socket bars installed on the north and south walls of the shop, I have a 4' hanging shop light installed overhead that provides ample lighting that is controlled by a switch as I enter my shop. Oh the things we take for granted in our day to day lives, electricity is so vital to what I do.

The Install.
With the much appreciated aid of a known electrician from my job, the installation of the cables and breaker box was possible. Fishing the cables underground was a very tedious task as the cables did not want to run smoothly. Fishing the cables alone took about 45 minutes as we had to stop and dig and reset some of the piping to ensure that their course was as smoothly as possible. With the help of some dish soap, we eventually got the end of the wire out to where it would be fed into the shop and up into the breaker box. We had to lower the breaker box closer to the floor of the shop in order to run the cable up to it. It's lower and out of the way, but not too low to where I would be unhappy with it.

Next.
With most of the 14ga. romex cable in, I need to next install the 12 ga. romex cable in next. While the 14ga cable powers the 15amp items in the shop, The 12ga. cable will power a few things: the AC socket for my window unit, an indoor socket, and an outdoor boxed unit to power future sanding / painting / air compressor tools. After the remaining sockets and power sources are hooked up and connected to the breaker box. I'll begin insulating the walls with schedule R-19 insulation and wrapping that up with 6 mil vapor barrier sheeting. The vapor barrier and insulation will be covered up with indoor panelling - I haven't decided which type or style would be best yet. I might drywall as that would be cheaper...We'll see how it comes out, I'm playing that part of it by ear. Hopefully, I'll be blessed with a window unit really soon BECAUSE IT'S AVERAGING 90 degrees in my shop daily! Burn baby Burn!

Enjoy the photos.

1 comment:

Many Thanks to those who read, follow my blog and leave feedback. I am happy to receive the support that I get, it encourages me to continue my exploration of Woodworking and Craftsmanship.