In the late summer of 2010, my beautiful wife and I made the crazy decision to move out of the city and into the Central Texas countryside. It was here that Big Z Creations was formed. This blog chronicles our experiences in gardening, home renovation and repair, woodworking, raising chickens and much more.


Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tuesday




Halloween.
It's almost the end of June and it's safe to say that it has been an okay month. A few more months of Summer to go till the fall is upon us. We've still got a ways to go to start thinking about the Fall and Halloween. I've always been big into Halloween and so are a few other people at my job. It's a good holiday to stretch the old imagination and decorating talents. Moving to Bastrop and to the type of neighborhood we are living in currently, we haven't much neighbors with kids - so we are really unsure about decorating for Halloween this year or even Christmas for that matter. Our former neighborhood was really into it and we had lots of trick-or-treaters and lots of Christmas decorations. Every year was big for us for decorating. I think I'll still decorate for those few kids to come around anyway. If no kids come around then that's okay. Either way, I'll still be decorating my office as usual. I usually start thinking about my Halloween Haunt about this time of year - I begin to put together a few projects in my ideas book for this coming season. It's never too early. I'm really wanting to put together a graveyard with old scraps of wood that I have laying around. A few crosses made of two pieces of old weathered wood that have been half-lapped together would be a perfect effect. A few funny messages routed into them would add to the hilarity of them. I'm also thinking about a few old tombstones made of stone spray painted plywood - weathered to look realistic. I am so excited about these ideas! A few lights and fog effects and it'll be golden!!


Back to the reality of it being June and the Summer. I have found another project that I'd like to try my hand at constructing out of wood: the Giant Yard Chicken. Yes, this is traditionally a chicken that is made of metal but I like the challenge of seeing possibly the first yard chicken to be made completely out of plywood. The plywood would have to be sealed very tightly from the elements and painted with bright and vibrant colors. I'm adding this to the list of projects:
- bird feeder
- Two person Hobby desk
- Table saw cabinet on wheels
- Halloween Crosses and Tombstones
- Yard Chicken

1 comment:

  1. There is a super cool infamous yard chicken on Gibson in the S. 1st area. Go drive over there one day and check it out. Head down S. 1st and turn left on Gibson, right before the restaurant El Mercado. Let me know what you think of it!! It is on a chain... funny.

    ReplyDelete

Many Thanks to those who read, follow my blog and leave feedback. I am happy to receive the support that I get, it encourages me to continue my exploration of Woodworking and Craftsmanship.