In the late summer of 2010, my beautiful wife and I made the crazy decision to move out of the city and into the Central Texas countryside. It was here that Big Z Creations was formed. This blog chronicles our experiences in gardening, home renovation and repair, woodworking, raising chickens and much more.


Thursday, June 10, 2010

Not Quite Friday.


Early morning laugh.
I was just at Orange (Home Depot) and the Hilti rep. tried to sell me a $300 hammer drill. The sad thing was that this was their lowest and cheapest model. I was too embarrassed to admit to him that I was not going to be able to afford it, nor was I ever going to spend that much money on one tool UNLESS it was a Delta table saw or a jointer table. Hilti is the Porsche of power tools, they make fine tools with fine metal parts - but the price you pay for their quality is up there. $300 could translate into money I could spend for lumber for about 8 or 9 small to medium projects. I am a beginner wood worker, the cheap to moderately priced tools that I have will do just fine. I was shopping for a cordless drill. I figured that since I do not have power fully routed to the mini-shop, a back up cordless drill might be the way to go. I want a drill with an awesome battery and it looks like I'll be paying about $150 to $200. I think I'll put this off for a while.

Rain. Destruction.
The mini-shop had a few puddles of water on the floor and a puddle or two on my tool cabinet when I came home yesterday to inspect it. I was devastated and desperate. I plan to resolve this by re-roofing it this weekend. I have about 7 pieces of zinc and purchased a box of self tapping screws, I'll proceed to put down a bead of water proof caulking on the cracks of the other pieces to further ensure that no water is getting in.
For a temporary fix against any rain that will develop today, I have cover the roof with a waterproof tarp. This will stave off any further water from coming in through the roof.

The rain and re-doing the roof is a big set back for me to set up the mini-shop, but they are essential to getting everything done right and set up correctly. I still have the following to be done:

- sealing and installing more roof panels
- sealing all cracks in the hardieboard
- cutting pieces to cover holes in inside corners of the shed
- installing a front step or ramp into the shop.
- sealing / laying down a floor inside shop.

In related news, the rain has really been hard and strong these past few days. It has left New Braunfels and the Guadalupe River in a devastating state. The flooding has again left much debris and waste everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. Set-backs on projects like your workshop are a bummer for sure. Hang in there, though. It's all a learning process and you will eventually work out the kinks. At least, that is what I am telling myself as I work on the welding table I told you about. It has been taking me MUCH longer than I originally anticipated, but I think it is going to be worth it in the long run. Good luck, dude!

    ReplyDelete

Many Thanks to those who read, follow my blog and leave feedback. I am happy to receive the support that I get, it encourages me to continue my exploration of Woodworking and Craftsmanship.