In the late summer of 2010, my beautiful wife and I made the crazy decision to move out of the city and into the Central Texas countryside. It was here that Big Z Creations was formed. This blog chronicles our experiences in gardening, home renovation and repair, woodworking, raising chickens and much more.


Monday, June 14, 2010

B-Day Tomorrow.

Sat. Mini-Shop Recap.
I worked very hard Saturday to completely dry in the mini-shop. My dual prong plan of attack is to caulk all the screw holes and small cracks and gaps between and around the hardieboard and then going around to fill the larger gaps and cracks near the corrugated roof line and between the roof rafters with cans of Great Stuff Expanding foam. For those of you that have never used this stuff before, here is some sound safety advice: Just like WoodShop rules: Always wear protection, in this case specifically in the form of disposable rubber gloves, safety glasses, a hat, shirt with sleeves if possible. This spray foam has literally gotten all over everything: my skin, my ladder, my clothes, my shoes - there is nothing exact about applying this stuff. It hardens very quickly and can be like a hard film of superglue that would stain your skin for days. I still have some on me that I am slowing peeling off daily. This IS Nasty stuff - ALWAYS Wear Protection kids!! I took great care of carefully cleaning up everything and protecting myself.

Results.
I am very happy with the fact that my mini-shop is completely dried-in. I have the utmost confidence that insects and moisture and other elements of weather will no longer be a nuisance or a threat to my tools and or projects. After a few days of allowing the foam and caulking to dry completely, and after doing a final inspection of the seals, I will then proceed to paint a layer of primer using a paint roller. This always gets to be the exciting part of the finishing process to me. I've priced out the cost of 11 - 1x4x8' Pressure treated trim wood - this will come out to $2.97ea or $32.67 before taxes. The trim wood is essential to the overall finished look.

2morrow.
Yes, that's right, tomorrow is my birthday. Another year on this rock for me tomorrow. It's just another day, and I'll be working my desk job as usual. This past weekend was more like my birthday as my wife graciously gave me my birthday present early Sunday. (Thank you, Babe -You are still my favorite birthday present every year!). So what was it you ask? Those who know me well, know that I am a very simple person. You might also know that I am breaking into woodworking and setting up a woodworking shop. My gift was a woodworking power tool of my choosing and so without further ado:

I'm happy to introduce the latest addition to my shop. The Porter Cable 10" Jobsite Table Saw with 5,000 RPMs of power, 24.5" rip capacity, 15amps of solid, portable power. The saw has miter, cross cut, rip, dado, bevel and non-through cut capabilities. I AM VERY EXCITED at the prospect of this new tool. I spent the better half of Sunday relaxing, slowing assembling and carefully calibrating this table saw's blade. This will be my first piece of precision equipment and I literally and figuratively have my work cut out for me with this saw.

Shop Safety.
As of today, I have not powered on the saw as of yet, I guess I am nervous about it's abilities. I am taking my time to safely familiarize myself with all of it's safety features to the point where I'll be confident to know that I am using it as directed. I am a very firm believer of shop safety and at all opportunities - I like to practice safe woodworking. I think being careful has led me to this point in my life in all things that I have undertaken. A power tool of this nature is a great responsibility, reading the safety requisites and adhering to them is only going to lead to quality products and a better quality of woodworking shop time.

1 comment:

Many Thanks to those who read, follow my blog and leave feedback. I am happy to receive the support that I get, it encourages me to continue my exploration of Woodworking and Craftsmanship.