In the late summer of 2010, my beautiful wife and I made the crazy decision to move out of the city and into the Central Texas countryside. It was here that Big Z Creations was formed. This blog chronicles our experiences in gardening, home renovation and repair, woodworking, raising chickens and much more.


Thursday, June 24, 2010

Electricity.

Thursday.
It's another sunny and warm summer day here in Austin & Bastrop. What a great time to go to work at my desk job! LOL. I'll try not to sound excited about sitting for 4 hours at a time. Like I've told many of my friends - humans were not meant to sit for a total of 8 hours out of the day. WE were meant to move, to hunch over while standing over a work bench, to bend, to hammer, to drill, to block sand, to hand plane, to screw, to staple, to glue, to mortise & tenon, to box joint, to rabbet, to dowel joint, to pocket hole, to cross cut, to miter cut, to stain, to paint, to seal... It's another beautiful day to build and to create - What are you going to build today?

Power!
I've been working on what I think to be the most exciting and defining attribute of my Mini-shop. I believe it to be the Nervous System of the shop itself, the power house, the mitochondria of the cell: Electricity. Without it, I won't have a very comfortable climate as I won't be able to work without the necessary air conditioning and or heater to work comfortably in this crazy Texas climate. Most importantly, I won't have the means by which to safely and effectively use my power tools and table saw. Lastly, although I have perfect eyesight, proper lighting is also another important aspect of any safe woodworking shop. To ensure appropriate lighting, I'll be installing a low energy but bright fluorescent shop light fixture.

Phase 1.
Yesterday was Phase 1 of adding power to the Mini-Shop. I purchased 1" PVC conduit piping to run the electrical cable from my meter's drop box on over to my shop. I began the gruelling and very tiring task of digging a nearly 40' trench for this piping - I was so tired at the end of digging just 32' that I've put off the rest for this evening.

1 comment:

  1. hang in there - that trench will be done soon! and then there will be a fan in that shop to cool you off! :)

    -spain

    ReplyDelete

Many Thanks to those who read, follow my blog and leave feedback. I am happy to receive the support that I get, it encourages me to continue my exploration of Woodworking and Craftsmanship.